Higher Nationals in
Unit: 21 Virtualization
For use with the Pearson BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Computing
First teaching from September 2016
Edexcel, BTEC and LCCI qualifications
Edexcel, BTEC and LCCI qualifications are awarded by Pearson, the UK’s largest awarding body offering academic and vocational qualifications that are globally recognised and benchmarked. For further information, please visit our qualification websites at www.edexcel.com, www.btec.co.uk or www.lcci.org.uk. Alternatively, you can get in touch with us using the details on our contact us page at qualifications.pearson.com/contactus
Pearson is the world’s leading learning company, with 40,000 employees in more than 70 countries working to help people of all ages to make measurable progress in their lives through learning. We put the student at the centre of everything we do, because wherever learning flourishes, so do people. Find out more about how we can help you and your students at qualifications.pearson.com
References to third-party material made in this specification are made in good faith. We do not endorse, approve or accept responsibility for the content of materials, which may be subject to change, or any opinions expressed therein. (Material may include textbooks, journals, magazines and other publications and websites.) All information in this document is correct at time of publication. All the material in this publication is copyright © Pearson Education Limited 2017
Higher National Certificate/Diploma in Computing
Student Name/ID Number
Unit Number and Title
Academic Year 2018
Unit Tutor Imtiaz Ali Soomro
IV Name & Date Hatif Roohan Chishti
The submission is in the form of an individual written report. This should be written in a concise, formal business style using single spacing and font size 12. You are required to make use of headings, paragraphs and subsections as appropriate, and all work must be supported with research and referenced using the Harvard referencing system. Please also provide a bibliography using the Harvard referencing system. The recommended word limit is 2,000–2,500 words, although you will not be penalised for exceeding the total word limit.
Unit Learning Outcomes
LO1 Examine the concepts, uses and implications of virtualization.
LO2 Implement a virtualised solution to meet identified requirements.
LO3 Demonstrate appropriate testing and maintenance procedures.
Assignment Brief and Guidance
You are employed as a technician for a small computing department in your local FE college. The
computing department has its own IT infrastructure including virtualised servers, 70+ PC’s and laptops and 20 independent lab PC’s which are only networked in one of the computing labs. The HND programme lecturer is considering virtualising the 20 lab PC’s in one of the labs. These PC’s must not be connected to the internet. The lab PC’s are used for installing software including the OS and for networking.
The first is to virtualise the Lab pc’s in one of the teaching labs, these should not be connected to the internet, and they must be able to be re-imaged at short notice.
The second is to provide a virtualised environment for the lecturers of the computing department. The lecturers make use of multiple PC’s (Desktop and laptop) and devices (e.g. iPad). The lecturers also log into the instructor PC in each of the labs. The lecturers need access to their own files, the department’s files and access to the internet.
• Produce a presentation which evaluates all of the latest virtualization solutions available. Your presentation must include strengths and weaknesses of each solution. Finally, as a conclusion, of all the solutions presented give a judgement on which ones would be your preferred solution giving reasons as to why.
• Evaluate Potential benefits of virtualization as a whole within the computing department, you need to include both server and desktop benefits. You should include a section on the existing 20 lab machines and state the viability of virtualizing these PC’s.
• Write a report discussing the current technology requirements for implementing virtualisation, here you need to include how technology inter-relates and state the importance of underlying technology particularly in relation to the college IT system.
Produce a design for the scenario chosen in task 1. You need to include –
• Compatibility with existing hardware/software.
• The storage available and whether this is adequate or not.
• The amount of host memory needed with consideration for how many hosts are required.
• The initial number of hosts plus an allowance for any expansion. • The processor requirements for the host.
You must include relevant diagrams.
• Write a report to managers on how the virtualisation solution will/can be maintained. This must include host and guest operating systems. You need to include a section on potential growth of your solution.
• Produce and implement a test plan for the chosen scenario. You need to include – 1. Tests against original requirement, with evidence.
2. Compatibility for different OS.
3. Performance of server to manage the hosts and itself, with evidence.
4. A problem log, with evidence.
5. The test performed should be done in a systematic way.