Unit Network Management
Unit code CSC73002
Assignment 2 Network performance management and troubleshooting exercise
Mode Individual assignment
Due Date 06 Sep 2019 11:00 PM
Learning Outcomes LO2, LO3
Graduate Attributes GA4
Weight 30% of overall unit assessment
Suggestion This assignment is developmental and cumulative. You are strongly advised to start doing this assignment from Week-7 in your study. Leaving your starting date to the week before the due date is a very poor strategy for success in the unit. Follow the provided guidelines to help you successfully direct your efforts.
In assignment-1, you have successfully implemented the network on eNSP and performed important steps to manage the network configuration. In this assignment, you will perform necessary setup to manage the network performance. In particular, you will complete the following tasks:
• Task 1: Select a suitable network management architecture to manage the network then implement the architecture using Zabbix NMS and SNMPv2c.
• Task 2: Document performance baselining for the network connectivity.
• Task 3: A staff at the branch network reports that she cannot upload documents to a shared folder of the headquarter network document server. Outline the troubleshooting steps you would use to solve this issue.
Assignment-2 marking guidelines
The following are the major assessment criteria of this assignment
Task 1: Network management environment setup
• Select a suitable network management architecture and justify the selection.
• Correctly configure SNMPv2c on each network device • Successfully verify SNMPv2 setup with snmpwalk utility
• Successfully download, configure and run Zabbix appliance.
• Successfully configure Zabbix NMS to discover all network devices
CSC73002 – Network Management Assignment-2, 2019
Task 2: Performance baselining
• Correctly identify performance parameters for baselining • Correctly calculate the baselines of the parameters Task 3: Network troubleshooting
• Select a troubleshooting approach and correctly follow the approach
• Correctly identify the type of information should be collected at each step • Correctly propose the hypothesis to be tested at each step
Format and Presentation
Task 1: You are required to record a short video clip (10 min max) to explain your task 1. In the video, you will:
• Provide your details e.g. your name, student id, year and the unit you are studying
• Explain your selection of the network management architecture and show the implementation of the architecture on eNSP.
• Explain your SNMPv2c configuration on a network device
• Demonstrate the working SNMPv2c using snmpwalk utility
• Demonstrate a working Zabbix NMS that receives SNMP updates from the managed network devices.
Finally, publish your video on YouTube. Use the unlisted option if you do not want the video to be viewed in public. Copy the link to your video and paste it under the task-1 section of the document template provided with this assignment.
Task 2 and Task 3: Use the template provided with this assignment for this task.
When you have completed the assignment, you are required to submit your assignment in the PDF/DOC format. The file will be named using the following convention:
filename = FirstInitialYourLastName_CSC73002_A2.pdf
It is a University requirement that a student’s work complies with the Academic Policy, Chapter 4.20 on Student Academic Integrity. It is a student’s responsibility to be familiar with the Policy.
Failure to comply with the Policy can have severe consequences in the form of University sanctions. For information on this Policy please refer to Chapter 4.20 on Student Academic Integrity at the following website:
CSC73002 – Network Management Assignment-2, 2019
As part of a University initiative to support the development of academic integrity, assessments may be checked for plagiarism, including through an electronic system, either internally or by a plagiarism checking service, and be held for future checking and matching purposes.
Retain duplicate copy
Before submitting the assignment, you are advised to retain electronic copies of original work. In the event of any uncertainty regarding the submission of assessment items, you may be requested to reproduce a final copy.
School Extension Policy
In general, I will NOT give extension unless where there are exceptional circumstances. Students wanting an extension must make a request at least 24 hours before the assessment item is due and the request must be received in writing by the unit assessor or designated academic. Extensions within 24 hours of submission or following the submission deadline will not be granted (unless supported by a doctor’s certificate or where there are exceptional circumstances – this will be at unit assessor’s discretion and will be considered on a case by case basis). Extensions will be for a maximum of 48 hours (longer extensions supported by a doctor’s certificate or alike to be considered on a case by case basis).
A penalty of 5% of the total available grade will accrue for each 24-hour period that an assessment item is submitted late. Therefore, an assessment item worth 20 marks will have 1 marks deducted for every 24-hour period and at the end of 20 days will receive 0 marks.
Students who fail to submit following the guidelines in this Unit Information Guide will be deemed to have not submitted the assessment item and the above penalty will be applied until the specified submission guidelines are followed.
Marks and Feedback
All assessment materials submitted during the semester will normally be marked and returned within two weeks of the required date of submission (provided that the assessment materials have been submitted by the due date).
Marks will be made available to each student via the MySCU Grade book.