OHSE3710 T1 2015: Individual Assignment 1
This is an individual assignment, focusing on global climate change and regional efforts to mitigate this climate change. The assignment should answer the following:
1. What is the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC)? What is the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC)?
What are the major scientific facts in the IPCC that provide evidence that the Earth is warming up? Why are some scientists saying that the climate change is NOT man-made (e.g. human industrial activities) but a “natural phenomenon”?
2. Describe the current governmental approach to mitigating (controlling) the climate change problem. Choose two Asian countries.
Contrast the mitigation programs of the two countries. How effective are the climate change programs? Why or why not?
• Brief introduction explaining the purpose of the assignment and the countries you have chosen to contrast.
• Answers to the main questions.
• Brief conclusion summarizing your major conclusions.
• References on a separate page.
• Page limit: 8 pages, 2500 words.
• Essay format. Subheadings acceptable.
• Word document with default margins, spacing 1.5 lines, 11 point Arial font type.
• No quotes; use all your own words.
• Use text references to show where information comes from.
• Vancouver Referencing. Reference list on a separate attached page.
• Supporting Figures and Tables are acceptable, but must be within the page limit.
Assignment Grading (20 points)
• Quality of argument: 6 points
• Clarity of argument: 4 points
• Proper referencing and text referencing: 4 points
• Good English mechanics: 3 points
• Overall impression and layout: 3 points
Deadline: Submit your assignment (Word document) electronically on Blackboard (Turnitin) by 24th Feb 2015. Include the University assignment coversheet. Hardcopy is NOT required.