Looking for customized, unused and Plagiarism free solutions ???
Assessment 1: Critical analysis of nominated literature
Word count: There is a word limit of 1500 words. Use your computer to total the number of words used in your assignment. However, do not include the reference list at the end of your assignment in the word count. In-text citations will be included in the additional 10% word count. If you exceed the word limit by more than 10% the marker will stop marking at 1500 words plus 10%. Due Date: Wednesday, April 20th at 1700hrs
Submission details: Refer to Submission Requirements (p.10) Marking Criteria and Standards: See pages 11 and 17.
Aim of assessment
The aim of this assessment item is to enable students to explore, in detail, the research process by critically analysing a journal article.
Using the appropriate guide, provided in this Learning Guide (either p. 11 or 16 ), critically analyse one of the papers available in the assessment tab on vUWS.
For a qualitative paper, use the guide on page 11.
For a quantitative paper, use the guide on page 16.
Please use research methods literature to inform the critical anaysis. The assessment must comply with the following:
• Students must respond to each of the questions provided in the guide for analysis using academic writing. It is anticipated that the work will be presented in a question / answer format using full sentences and paragraphs. Students will be able to access an electronic template for this assignment from the Unit vUWS site.
• Referencing must be presented according to Section 4 Citing Resources and References, in this learning guide
• A minimum of 3 recent academic references must be used (published no earlier than 2011).
• The questions provided in the guide and reference list are not included in word
• Refer to section entitled Submission of Assessment Tasks for guidance regarding word limit and further formatting / submission detail
Standards and Criteria. Please look carefully at the standards and criteria. They are designed to give guidance regarding the level of understanding of research concepts needed to explicitly identify, discuss and critique to achieve the marks allocated.
i. Examples may be available on the vUWS site. ii. There are a number of textbooks and resources available through the Western Sydney University Library that may assist you. Please refer to the unit’s vUWS site for specific unit resources
Guide: Assessment 1(a) – Critical analysis of nominated literature (QUALITATIVE)
Please use the questions provided in this guide to analyse one of the journal articles (available in the assessment tab on vUWS). When answering each question please explain and justify responses with reference to the current literature. Please see Standards and Criteria on page 11.
1. Background of the study (Total: 5 marks)
1.1 Briefly describe the health issue of the study’s focus?
1.2 What is the significance of the study?
2. Overview of research design (Total: 5 marks)
2.1 What was the aim of the research?
2.2 What research design was used? Was it appropriate? Why/why not?
3. Sampling (Total: 10 marks)
3.1 Who were the study participants?
3.2 What are the inclusion and exclusion criteria of the sample? Why is it important to have these criteria identified before recruitment?
3.3 What sampling technique was employed in this study? Was it appropriate for the research design? Why/why not?
3.4 How was the sample size determined? Was it appropriate? Why/why not?
4. Data collection (Total: 10 marks)
4.1 How was the data collected?
4.2 Was the data collection method appropriate for the study question and the research design? Why/why not?
4.3 Define the concept of rigor and discuss what measures were/were not taken to ensure rigor?
5. Data analysis/results (Total: 10 marks)
5.1 Identify and describe the method of data analysis? Was it appropriate?
5.2 What were the findings?
5.3 Can the study findings be used in other settings? Why/why not?
6. Evidence utilization (Total: 5 marks)
Would you implement the findings of this study in clinical practice? Why/why not?
7. Presentation (Total: 5 marks)
7.1 Referencing in-text and in reference list conforms to APA referencing style.
7.2 Critique supported by relevant literature using at least three recent academic references published from 2011.
7.3 Correct sentence, paragraph, grammatical construction, spelling, punctuation and presentation.