Assessment 3 Authentic Tasks
Topic Critical Assessment
Length No less than 1000 words and no more than 1500 words. Appendices are not counted towards page limit; they can be of any length.
Due Date 11 Mar 2016 (Friday in Trimester 1 Week 5)
Final Submission Time: 5:00pm
Type of Collaboration Individual Assessment
Marking Criteria Detailed Marking Criteria will be discussed with students in class and then provided on Moodle.
Style and Format This is a short management report, focused on the core question, fully referenced (Harvard Referencing) on a separate page. Appendices may be included to provide supporting data, but all appendices must be discussed in the main document.
The report must be double-spaced, with Times New Roman font, size 12, 2.5 cm margin on all sides.
Sections must be numbered, as found in common business reports.
Assessment Submission Online Via Moodle
Assessment Return Feedback will be provided within 10 working days of submitting the assessment.
Detailed Information You must read the following articles for this assessment - see questions below:
Dostaler, I & Tomberlin, T 2013, ‘The Great Divide Between Business School Research and Business Practice’, The Canadian Journal of Higher Education, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 115-128.
Greer, C & Hitt, M 2012, ‘The value of research and its evaluation in business schools: killing the goose that laid the golden egg?’, Journal of Management Inquiry, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 236-240.
Critically analyse the above two articles, and address the following questions:
1. What is the basis for the argument presented?
2. What approach was used to support their argument?
3. Is the argument presented well supported? Why or why not?
4. What are the key messages contained in the respective articles?
5. How are these messages relevant to your studies?
6. What are the strengths and weaknesses of each article?
7. Which would you consider to be the better article and what is the basis for you reaching this conclusion?
8. What have you learned by reading these articles?
9. What is the benefit of what you have learned?
10. What is the cost of what you have learned?
11. What will you do differently in the future as a result of your learnings?
The comments must be appropriately supported by suitable academic references. You can use appendices for this assessment; however, they must be suitably discussed within the body of your report.
Submit the assessment online via Turnitin available on the Subject Moodle site.