CIS3003 Assignment 2
Due date: 26 April 2013
Part A: Mini Case Study (2 pages in total)
You are to provide a one page essay for the following mini case questions (total of two pages) from the textbook. The essay is to be a 1.5 line spacing response to the following mini case.
Mini case study (IV) Shangi-La! (textbook edition 11 page 264)
The essays do not require in text references or a list of references.
Part B Hands on
You are to go through the Hands on exercise 5A on page 187 of the textbook. The exercise has a number of activities for you to perform but for the assignment we only need the output and answers for the following activities.
PING: Finding other computers
ARP: Displaying Physical Address
TRACERT: Finding Routes through the Internet
Each of the activities listed include a number of deliverables that you will need to attach as part of your assignment submission. For the output of the commands using a screen capture is sufficient. Under Windows use Cmd Alt Print Screen keys combinations to capture the current active window and then paste into word document.
Part C: Report (10 pages for body of the report)
A business seminar discussing the future adoption of technologies to enable businesses highlighted the theme of mobile computing and cloud based services.
Management has identified that in order to provide employees with mobile access a more flexible networking environment needs to be created. Since the organisation uses a typical client server network design, management feels that it would be a simple and reasonable inexpensive process to add extra connection capabilities to realise the mobile design benefits. The second stage would be to move the solution to the appropriate cloud services.
In order to proceeded with the planning and implementations of the solution you as the IT manager have been called in to provide a report on the type of changes that would need to be implemented and further research on the cloud solutions.
During your initial discussion with management you highlighted how your department has only just finished the process of modernise from the existing ad-hoc system to the new client server solution. The new design, due to the processing needs of the applications utilised by the organisation for day to day activities, the employee’s workstations had to be quite upscale systems in terms of CPU power, memory size, network speed and storage. The back end systems are used mainly as secure data access and storages. The employees have only just begun to come comfortable with the new system and the their responsibilities under the new system.
The new mobile devices direction from management means that the network design needs a major rethink and redesign especially if portion or all of the services will be moved to the cloud.
As a result of the new direction you have been tasked to provide a report to address the following areas of concern and also provide more information to facilitate a better decision making process.
Note: When we say Mobile devices we mean devices that can be used by employees to access the data and services in a unstructured network environment as well as through other third party networks. Major feature of the mobile devices is wireless network connection and reduced device size and processing power.
• Describe and discuss how the redesigned network needs to operate, the possible network design solutions and why the new design is more suitable for the introduction of mobile devices.
• Consider the overall impact that the introduction of new devices would have on the network functionality and availability. Identify possible problems and issues that the introduction of Mobile computing could have on the network services.
• It is evident that the introduction of the previous upgrade was a major disruption to the employees with having to adjust to security and access restrictions of the new network. Identify training and education that might need to be carried out before the introduction of the new network and mobile devices and any ongoing training that might be required.
• The cloud solutions are not well formulated at the moment due to some misunderstanding of what the term actually means. Research and describe the different type and capabilities of cloud networks.
• Identify and describe which service would be the best fit with the needs of the mobile computing that the organisation is moving towards.
Please read the instructions very carefully.
Report Format for Assignment 2 Part B (10 pages body)
The report needs to be a standard business report and you must reference correctly in Harvard style.
Your report MUST follow the structure for a report as specified in the Faculty of Business Communications skills handbook, however, you will not be required to submit the following sections: Glossary or Appendices. You may want to consider the structure of the marking scheme when structuring the body of your report.
Please view this presentation is you need information regarding writing reports and report styles.
Your report must include references where you have used other sources (both in the body text and listed at the end of the report) as specified in the Communication Skills Handbook. For current reference style guide please refer to the online document at http://www.usq.edu.au/library/referencing/harvard-agps-referencing-guide
• Marks will be deducted for submitted work with missing or incorrect references.
• Work submitted with no references in the body of the report will NOT be accepted.
• Your report must be printed with 1.5 line spacing; at least 12-point font size; and the body of the report should be no more than 10 pages of single-sided A4 paper.
• Penalty will apply for exceeding the page limit.
• Assignments not following the report style will be heavily penalised.